Saturday, September 24, 2011

Halloween 2011: Part 1

**Watching "We're Not Married" 1952, Marilyn Monroe, Zsa Zsa Gabor. Cat sleeping behind me in the chair so I can't sit back.**
 This is Ruby and I keep getting little claws in my lower back as she kneads.

Today Yesterday I purchased the beginnings of this year's Halloween costume. I consider this a late start, but it seems this is what always happens. (Sorry, I started writing this last night then looked at the clock and saw it was almost 1am and I was only about half way done.)

This is the pattern I will be making. (bought this a few months back)


If you recall, I had been thinking about going with this silky fabric.
I liked the color and the shimmer but I wasn't 100% in love with it for the structure of the dress. So I got to looking at Broadcloth while I was buying lining for a corset for next year's costume (don't look at me like that, if it' going to get done properly I have to start now!)

I decided on Deep Tan, which was as close to the color of the silky stuff as I could get.  And those are the 3 choices I was deciding upon for buttons. Have to wait til Sunday tomorrow to get the fabric because I have a 50% off coupon that's not good til then.


But with all my 40% off coupons I got my contrasting lining (I went with the Posh Apparel Lining since it was the same price as the crappy nylon lining, this stuff felt a lot better.) in Potting Soil, Organza for the ruffle in Champagne, zipper, thread and 2 set of buttons. That's right, 40% on each item. With everything else I got, my total started at $46 and ended up at $27!!!! (All this plus fabric and lining for the Marie Antoinette corset and some necklace chain)

**Cute movie. Definitely recommend watching if you have Netflix**

 And of course Sookie had to check things out. I'm not sure that's an approving face though.


Here's all the stuff together. I think the shoes and the shawl I'm knitting will add the needed splash of color.

A better shot of the shoes. Found at a thrift store at 50% off for about $3!!!!

A closer look at the buttons I chose. (I have no idea why this picture is showing up vertically - it's horizontal on my desktop but it keep uploading vertical.)
I thought that the background of the buttons mimicked the texture of the broadcloth nicely

This will be my accessory. It is an antique parasol "stick" (bought this way). If anyone knows how to transplant the skeleton of a working umbrella onto this stick, the information would be greatly appreciated!

A close up of the the handle.

And check out the engraving on the end!!!

Here's the fabrics I selected for the Marie Antoinette corset, along with some inspiration pieces that might be part of the wig when we get to that part.

Here's my loot from the thrift stores.
Finally found a broiler pan so I can make some tasty meals. The green vase I want to make into mini garden with moss and such. The canisters and candlestick will become homemade apothecary jars. The tea cup is for pictures of earrings. And the jar of beads is AWESOME!!! And was only 99cents!!!!!

I opened it before going to bed and WOW!!! There's a lot of terrific beads!!! Still need to finish sorting through them and photographing them.

OK time for dinner, it's been a long day but the greatest thing did happen - Ohio Roller Girls (ranked #10 in the North Central region) BEAT Cincinnati (ranked #5 in the same region) 131-105!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Rach! Goregous items....I can't wait to see the finished costume.

    ReplyDelete