Sunday, June 9, 2013

Project Runway Re-Creation #1 - Part 3 - The Pattern

Today's project was creating the pattern so I could figure out how much fabric I need to buy. I started by ripping out all the seams of the dress and ironing all the pieces flat. Also, as a starting point, I folded on the center front line so that I could cut off half the fabric and just use the best side.

I have marked where the pieces will be "cut on fold", and where the pleats will com from and meet at. I numbered each piece like a real pattern and drew grain lines where necessary.

 The long black line in the center of this piece is where the inside of the pleat will fall and where I will place a seam so that 1) the pattern fits on the width of fabric I have and 2) the seam will be hidden and not visible when the dress is worn... or at least that's the idea. All of the skirt pieces had to be cut into additional pieces so that they will fit on the fabric.

 Once I had all the pieces marked and identified, I traced them onto thick brown paper so that 1) when I cut the real fabric there will less chance anything will stretch and 2) since I used so many different fabrics, I needed all the pieces to look uniform for change. I was starting to get the pieces mixed up.

Transferred all the markings.

 Cut all the pieces out.

At this point, I had to strategically place the pieces on my cutting board to figure out how many yards of fabric I will need. I almost messed up because at first I figured all the pieces, forgetting that the lower portion was going to be in a different color. So I had to re-arrange them. I think (hope) that 3 yards will be enough for the main portion and while I haven't measure out the bottom portion on the fabric I have for that, I'm fairly certain I have more than enough.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Project Runway Re-Creation #1 - Part 2

Finally getting to move forward on this project. I've been waiting for fabric samples to come in from some online sources to help make my decision on what the main portion of the dress will be made from. Locally, I had decided on a linen-look fabric if I didn't like what I could find online. After a re-shipment of a lost package from finally arrived yesterday with some nice fabrics that I might order for future project, I have decided to go with the 1 sample I ordered from - a Textured Crinkle Crepe in Ivory. At $4 a yard, it's roughly the same price as the linen-look at Jo-Ann's and I like the texture better. I will have to at least flat line the skirt because the fabric is a little thin, and then with the extra weight, it will hang a little better.

So, today's project is just un-assembling the mock up to make the pattern pieces to be able to figure out how much fabric I will need. The Crepe is only 52" wide. Not sure how the skirt is going to piece together with this limitation. If I need to add additional seams, I'm going to have to try to place them in the inner crease of the pleats so that they don't show on the outside.


Other things in progress:
  • Re-Creation #2
    • Shirt bodice is cut and all tucks sewn
    • Need to cut sleeves
    • Bought lightweight interfacing for cuffs
    • Skirt cut from some linen-ish fabric found at the thrift store. Hurray for 2 1/5 yds of fabric for $3!
    • Still trying to find a 12", Invisble, Hunter Green zipper.
  • Derby skirt
    • Tea dyed all fabrics that needed it.
    • Bought random fabric at Jo-Ann's for the misc ruffles.
    • Decided it will be a fixed waistband with a zipper rather than an elastic waist band
      • bought zipper

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Etsy Coupon

While I sit here patiently waiting on fabric swatches to arrive from (they had to re-send them because they never arrived), let me offer you some free shipping on purchases of $15.00 or more from my Etsy store. There's a link on the side of my blog, or just click here. Use coupon code "freeshipping" at check out! This offer is good through the end of this month (June 2013).